Monterey Bay Aquarium Plans World Oceans Day Events June 7 - 8
May 26, 2014
- Special Events
On Saturday, June 7 at 2 p.m. the aquarium will present its inaugural Paul Walker Ocean Leadership award to supermodel, actress, surfer and healthy-ocean advocate Marisa Miller in public ceremonies on the Great Tide Pool deck. The award honors Walker’s memory and his commitment to ocean conservation by recognizing individuals who are using their public stature to advance ocean causes and support philanthropic ventures.
The annual World Oceans Day celebration coincides with international observance of the oceans – the largest habitat for life on Earth. The weekend will be dedicated to celebrating ocean ecosystems, as well as sharing information about land-to-sea connections and about the role people play in assuring the health of the world’s oceans for future generations.
Visitors will be encouraged to explore their personal connection to the oceans, learn more about the global importance of clean water, and discover how lakes, rivers and oceans are all connected.
Highlights of the 2014 “World Oceans Day Celebration” include:
- Presentation of inaugural Paul Walker Ocean Leadership award to Marisa Miller on Saturday at 2 p.m. on the Great Tide Pool deck.
- Performances by steel drum musician Derek Smith, who will fill the air with Caribbean sounds from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Main Entrance; both days.
- Meet aquarium divers and check out the special gear they need to dive with sharks, at 11:50 a.m. and 4:20 p.m. on the third floor of the Kelp Forest exhibit; both days.
- Watch a diver feed bay rays, and leopard and sevengill sharks in the Monterey Bay Habitats exhibit at noon; both days.
- ZunZun will entertain the whole family with interactive musical performances at 12:30 and 2:30 p.m., on the Great Tide Pool Deck; Sunday only.
- Get creative with family-friendly crafts from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Craft Room; both days.
- Special bilingual feeding programs throughout the aquarium on Sunday only. A bilingual penguin feeding narration will take place at 3 p.m. at the Splash Zone penguin exhibit. At 4 p.m. in the Kelp Forest exhibit, visitors can see a bilingual diver hand-feeding sharks, fishes and other fascinating animals.
- Experience the new mobile video game Alphie, in which a cute baby squid finds food, avoids predators and takes players on a plunge during an ocean adventure; both days.
- Watch the film Ocean 180 Video Challenge, where ocean scientists share their most exciting and inspiring discoveries – in 180 seconds or less; both days.
All exhibits and programs are included with aquarium admission: $39.95 adult; $34.95 senior (over 65) and student (full-time college, with I.D.); $24.95 children; under 3 free.
World Oceans Day at the Monterey Bay Aquarium was sponsored by Union Bank.
The nonprofit Monterey Bay Aquarium celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2014. Its mission is to inspire conservation of the oceans. For more information about the aquarium and to purchase tickets online, visit www.montereybayaquarium.org.
- 30 -