Find Yourself at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
Aquarium's free mobile app adds Apple Indoor Positioning
Mar 24, 2015
It’s never been easier to explore the acclaimed Monterey Bay Aquarium – or to share the experience with friends and family.
The aquarium’s official app for iPhone® and iPod® touch takes advantage of Apple’s indoor positioning to make it easy for visitors to pinpoint their location and quickly navigate to the most popular exhibits, animals and amenities using a new interactive map.
The app lets visitors learn fun animal facts, and find favorite programs and feeding shows – even set reminders so they won’t miss a thing! Visitors also get instant access to nearly 100 stunning photos of exhibit animals like sea otters, sharks and jellies that they can share on Facebook and Twitter and by e-mail.
A postcard feature lets app users create e-postcards with custom messages they write or with whimsical, pre-written captions for social sharing. The app includes a library of beautiful professional images for the e-postcards. Guests can also create e-postcards from images they shoot during their visit.
“We’re always looking for new ways to help people connect with the amazing animals in our exhibits, and to share their excitement with friends,” said David Rosenberg, general manager of guest experience for the aquarium. “The indoor positioning feature makes it even more useful for our guests.”
Key features of the app:
- An interactive map that highlights aquarium exhibits, animals and amenities. With iOS 8, visitors can also pinpoint their location on the map.
- Photos and background information about popular exhibit animals, from sea otters and octopuses to penguins and jellies.
- The option to set reminders before the start of a favorite feeding show, special event or any of the daily programs offered throughout the aquarium.
- Create-your-own e-postcard feature that can be used on site or at home to share your favorite animals with family and friends.
- A checklist of major exhibits so visitors can track what they’ve seen and which galleries and exhibits they haven’t yet explored.
- Tips on how to get more out of a visit, and aquarium information including operating hours, dining options, main phone number and driving directions.
- Options to stay connected on Facebook or to receive an e-newsletter after a visit.
The aquarium app was developed for the Monterey Bay Aquarium by POSSIBLE mobile. It is available for free on the App Store for iPhone and iPod touch with iOS version 7.1.3 or later, but is optimized for iOS 8. Accessing these devices to download data through a cellular network (rather than Wi-Fi) may result in usage charges.
The mission of the Monterey Bay Aquarium is to inspire conservation of the oceans.
Download HD video of our app in action.