Make a Splash at Monterey Bay Aquarium’s “World Ocean Day Celebration” June 4 and 5
May 25, 2016
Celebrate the ocean and all it provides during a festive World Ocean Day weekend at the Monterey Bay Aquarium on June 4 and 5. Special activities including live music, a family craft room, an interactive photo booth and much more – all included with aquarium admission.
On Saturday, June 4 at 2 p.m. the aquarium will present the Paul Walker Ocean Leadership award to actor, filmmaker and ocean advocate Adrian Grenier, whose Lonely Whale Foundation works to advance education and empathy for ocean health. The ceremony will take place on the Great Tide Pool deck. The award honors Walker’s memory and his commitment to ocean conservation by recognizing individuals who are using their public stature to advance ocean causes and support philanthropic ventures.
Highlights of the 2016 “World Ocean Day Celebration” include:
- Paul Walker Ocean Leadership Award Ceremony, 2 p.m. Saturday on the Great Tide Pool deck, honoring actor and philanthropist Adrian Grenier and Youth Award recipient Meg Kikkeri.
- Family-friendly crafts from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Craft Room; both days. On Saturday June 4 meet Kal Barteski, the artist who designed this year’s craft, sponsored by the Lonely Whale Foundation.
- Take the plunge and pledge for a plastic-free ocean at StudioBooth’s interactive photo booth – then celebrate the occasion with fun photos from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
- Steel drum musician Derek Smith will fill the air with Caribbean sounds from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days.
- 4 p.m. Sunday in the Kelp Forest exhibit, a bilingual diver will hand-feed sharks, fishes and other fascinating animals.
- Learn more about the Lonely Whale Foundation, event sponsor Union Bank, the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Sea Otter Program and Dive Team at information stations throughout the aquarium, both days.
The annual World Ocean Day celebration coincides with international observance of the ocean – the planet’s largest habitat, and one that supports all life on Earth. The weekend will be dedicated to celebrating ocean ecosystems, as well as sharing information about land-to-sea connections and the role people play in assuring the health of the world’s ocean for future generations.
For information about past Paul Walker Ocean Leadership awards see a press release from 2015
All exhibits and programs are included with aquarium admission: $49.95 adult; $39.95 senior (over 65) and student (full-time college, with I.D.); $29.95 children; under 3 free.
To learn more, visit http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/visit/special-events/world-ocean-day .
Learn more about actor Adrian Grenier’s work as an ocean advocate on our Tumblr blog.
Watch 2016 award recipient, Adrian Grenier, explore one of the world’s most pristine ocean environments, as he engages with prominent ocean conservationists.
Read about past Paul Walker Ocean Leadership Award winners, including Jack Johnson, Anjali World, and Marissa Miller.