Taking photos or video for commercial purposes, including for stock images, advertising and merchandise, is prohibited without prior authorization from the Public Relations department. Read our Location Guidelines and Agreement for more details.
We consider each location filming or photography request on a case-by-case basis, and charge fees for commercial location shooting. If you want to film at the Aquarium, please review our Location Guidelines and Agreement and complete our Location Filming Application; we'll respond within 72 hours. NOTE: We require at least two weeks' advance notice to accommodate most filming requests.
We cannot accommodate requests to shoot pilot TV programs, student films, or unsold documentaries or films. We do not provide use of aquarium-owned images for stock photography purposes.
For commercial and media filming
- All filming at Monterey Bay Aquarium must follow Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Location Guidelines and Agreement. These guidelines are for commercial crews who wish to use Monterey Bay Aquarium as a venue or use animals and staff to film all or part of feature films, documentaries, television advertisements, television series, music videos, photo shoots, print advertisements, etc.
- All filming requests must be approved by Monterey Bay Aquarium Public Relations department. To submit a filming request, a Location Filming Application must be completed and submitted to the Public Relations department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At least two weeks' notice is required for filming and photography requests. Any requests submitted under two weeks may not be accommodated and no filming will be accommodated with less than 24 hour' notice. Requests are evaluated on an individual basis.
- Due to the volume of filming requests received, pilot shows and student filming requests cannot be accommodated.
- After a request is approved, a Location Guidelines and Agreement must be signed by all parties. The Location Agreement covers the grant of right to enter approved areas and use of Monterey Bay Aquarium materials, location fees, Monterey Bay Aquarium policies, rules and regulations, defines Monterey Bay Aquarium property, and outlines insurance policies required. Location Agreement per Monterey Bay Aquarium must be signed. Outside location agreements will not be signed.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium reserves the right to cancel any shoot at any time if it is not in the best interest of Aquarium animals, staff or guests, or if it defies the Aquarium’s mission or any of the guidelines outlined.
- Please note: Monterey Bay Aquarium cannot accommodate filmings on weekends, holidays, and during Aquarium buyouts due to increased attendance and impact on guest experience. Filming blackout dates may apply during peak attendance seasons (i.e. spring break, summer, holidays).
For on-site media requests
Members of the media covering a story related to Monterey Bay Aquarium must contact the communications department to request interviews or filming access before admittance to the Aquarium. No media will be admitted if they arrive onsite for day-of filming. Members of communications staff can assist in setting up filming, interviews, and parking should the project be mutually beneficial to both parties. All filming at Monterey Bay Aquarium must follow our Location Guidelines and Agreement. Please fill out the Location Filming Application at least 2 weeks in advance and email email@example.com to get in touch with the public relations department.